Friday, January 28, 2011

Two: The Family's Bundle of Joy

On December 10, 2007, our family was blessed with the birth of my nephew, Prince Amos. He has been the family's bundle of joy and has been nothing but a blessing to everyone. He was a sickly baby then. I remembered wanting to go home and be right next to him when he was confined in the hospital for several days. The days were long and dragging.

Years have gone and he still continually surprises and amazes me with thoughts and actions only a toddler can do. Everyday, I learn new different things. And with days that I stand as his sitter, my patience is put to test (and to even greater lengths). He manages to make me insane and sane altogether. It's a wonder how he does that. Our house is filled with a child's mirth. Every clumsy and funny attempt he does at dancing, singing, talking, or simple skills is a cause of laughter and celebration. We shriek and dance along. And boy do I die of laughter!

I have a very close relationship with my nephew. I am afraid that he grows up way too fast, too soon even. When before he needs every help that he could get to manage to sit on four or stand straight is now replaced by his sheer perseverance to do things on his own; only asking for help when all else fail. When before I bathe and feed him like my own, now he wants to do it himself. I try to convince him he's incapable of doing things but this is futile since he is even more determined to prove me otherwise. Erik Erikson's Psychosocial Task for his age comes to mind: Autonomy vs Shame and Doubt. I need not wonder.

We live in a very harsh world, and I'm afraid that, as his tita, I cannot shield him from this reality. When his playmates try to play bully because they're obviously older, taller, and bigger (and badder hehe), I go after them BUT he stares at me hard trying to convey the message that he can handle them himself. All these pain me. I would like to always be there for him but that is also almost impossible. I can only do so much for him, the rest he has to do and discover on his own, the way he wants it.

I promise that I will document (through this blog and other means) his every move, big or small, so that one day he may see how he has given the family so much happiness. I know he'll be a God-fearing and good Filipino citizen. You know that aunt-gut feeling? I have that.

I love you, Buboy! You're my number 1!

No comments:

Post a Comment