Saturday, February 25, 2012

Ninety-fifth: Willpower

I didn't realize last night was Friday, although I kept asking my workmates the date many times. It slipped my mind until I was typing and my mind went point-blank about things I wish to give up for Lent. Yes, I ate a lot and I had more than enough serving of beef in my diet. All I wanted was to eat because my head was spinning from hunger and fatigue. I kid you not.
So today, until the Lent season is over (and possibly, even after), I decided to give up a number of things for sacrifice. It will take a whole lot of determination, self-control and willingness, but these I shall conquer and succeed. These are on my list: ice cream, pork, and cut down on my internet hours and the money I spend (although I'm very thrifty to begin with). I'd choose ice cream and buying books any day so it's going to be tough but the will to prioritize selflessness is greater. People will say giving up something as a sacrifice just because it's Lent is ridiculous and a tad closer to hypocrisy. But, I beg to disagree. Things that we are used to or routines are very hard to break, so putting a halt to some of these is going to be very hard. It doesn't take a genius to know that. Every ounce of resoluteness and self-discipline is necessary, and that takes sacrifice to a different level. I do it for myself because there are only a number of things very valuable in life. Even travelers have a say on this: If you can fit your entire life into a bag pack, then you know what's important. Or something like that. The gist of the matter is there. :)

3 comments: