Monday, February 6, 2012

Eighty-ninth: So close

Today, I had a very close encounter with one of nature's disasters. I was in the hospital preparing the noon medications of my patients when a 6.8-magnitude earthquake hit the city. I thought I was just imagining it until I saw some of the things moving. We all hid under the table. It was so scary because I thought we would never see the end of it! It took us quite a while before we gauged that the worse is over. After the quake, everyone panicked. Some of my patients wanted to go out of their rooms thinking they would be safer elsewhere. People were shouting, crying, and some were hugging each other. I immediately went to check on my patients, especially the one who's non-ambulatory and is in slightly critical condiiton.
The moment I was under the table, I had a lot of things going on in my mind. I wasn't ready for anything that serious. I don't even know how to swim. How could I save my life and that of the others? :/
Seeing how chaotic the situation in the hospital was, I knew I had to remain calm. Worrying will not do me any good. I had to put the safety of my patients before mine. Their well-being was our primary concern. But of course, I had to also make sure I was out of imminent danger.
A few more aftershocks happened from then til now, as I type. I am with my sisters. We are in the safety and comforts of our home. We're praying that everything will be alright especially for those who are near the coastal area.
Thank You Lord for being our great comforter despite the storm that we are in. You said that all these shall also pass and we hold onto those words. Please protect and cover us with Your holy mantle.

No comments:

Post a Comment