Friday, August 26, 2011

Sixty-fifth: It Came As a Surprise

I think one of the simple joys life offers is when you talk with an old friend with whom you haven't had contact with for a long time now. I've known Eds since my first year in college. She's funny, witty and would boldly give you a piece of her head when an event calls for it. I loved her like that. We've exchanged numerous text messages and it really warms my heart to know that when she gives a compliment or an advice, I could never go wrong with them because she looks out for my well-being despite the long hiatus in our friendship.
Tonight, after long hours at work for three consecutive nights of duty, I feel well rested and happy. My ex-patient's mom, who has convincingly tricked me into giving her my number, gave me a call. Of course, I was surprised because her daughter was discharged from the hospital for days now. It was nice hearing from them-- how her daughter has physically improved from the last time that she was bedridden and confined with I.V. fluids attached to her arm. She asked me to come meet her as she was planning to give me something. I politely declined the offer, not because I was already tucked in bed and going back to the hospital is COMPLETELY out of my own desire but because it's my personal choice. I think it was very nice of them to acknowledge my patient care. It was more than enough that they have expressed their genuine appreciation through thank yous and warm smiles.
What is funny, as I go on with this post, is the fact that I am a shallow person (in a good way). 
God has blessed me with so MANY things that to look for the negative in any given situation is an insult to His goodness.

No comments:

Post a Comment