Monday, May 14, 2012

Blast from the Past

You know those very rare times that I'm work-free, albeit tired and sleepy, I try to put them to productive use. My cousins are in town for only a limited time and I want them to see the beauty that lies in the city I now call home.
I know Philippines and Cebu, in isolation, have many interesting historical, political, cultural and social fact that date back to many centuries before. It's a shame we only hear or learn 'a drop in the ocean' from our History teachers and books. To go beyond the four corners of our classroom is our individual challenge.
I wish we could still see men and women from our generation dress this way without fear of mockery. We have  a very beautiful traditional wear, the saya, for the ladies, and barong, for the gentlemen. I've  always  been so  proud of this part of our culture. Let no  man ever disgrace it.
During the olden times, the government has little, if none, traces of corruption in the bureaucracy. How the wicked evolution of this vicious cycle happened, I do not want to know. But there's ignorance in choosing not to know or pretending dumb.
I don't want to sound too philosophical, but believe me there's an overwhelming surge of pride and dignity when you enter a place filled with enriching stories and artifacts of the past. In my head, I ask the many whys and hows. While I wish that we should have also preserved our knowledge of the Spanish  language, I pause and remember how my forefathers have won the fight for freedom for every Filipino--  the use of Tagalog for communication. That in itself is a reason to continually use and honor a  language that stems from a humble beginning.
I rest  my piece and bid you good day.

3 comments:

  1. How I wish I can tour around Cebu City with you Tina! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hoy pagsure, boring ra kaayo asa ko nangadto kay gtour ra akong mga ig-agaws. Imoha ang hardcore!! Please ha, ang atong sabot. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hahahahaha, wa pa ko kaanha sa imo gipangpost dri... ako na lang ni solohon ang dri sa cebu city... Yup ang atong sabot, sure nah! i will txt u the plan huh!

    ReplyDelete