Thursday, May 31, 2012

Too Soon

Sleep will soon consume me, and my thoughts will be gone by then.
I went to attend the funeral of one of my patients, who has died fighting against alcoholic liver cirrhosis and many other complications. Truly, when death stares you in the eye, there is no way of avoiding it. No amount of money,  not even remorse, can make a person live when eternal damnation comes knocking. I am humbled by the stories shared by the family members, and my first-hand experiences with the patient, as well. I cannot help but smile and remember him for the person that he was-- a loving and providing father and husband, and a generous and obedient patient to his care providers. He may have had some poor choices in life like energy and time spent on trivial things like alcohol and cigarette, but they do not entirely define him. For his death meant a new beginning and lessons learned for those left behind.
Time is of the essence. What we do now, we cannot undo tomorrow. What we give, we also take in return. What we sow, we reap. And while we may never get to say the words we'd like our loved ones to hear, I hope we made it up in our actions instead.

No comments:

Post a Comment