Monday, February 21, 2011

Twelfth: Of rainbows and white birds

Yesterday, I went to attend the burial of my close friend's brother. He was a fine young man, who died of cardiac arrest. Apparently, he's had it in him since he was an infant and only manifested some symptoms during the last year of his life. He chose to keep it to himself. His family never had the slightest clue. I am sure he didn't want to get anyone worried or upset. I think he was kind like that.

His loss was all too sudden. My friend and her family thought there was still something they could have done to prevent his untimely death. I personally couldn't believe he was really gone. I just had a short talk and laugh with him few weeks before his death. He was jolly, but he sure did put on some weight (which was a preemptive sign according to his physician). I've only had a number of encounter with him. They were all brief, but he always managed to make me laugh because of his quirky personality. His sisters were exactly like him--- bubbly and amusing.

He left behind his family-- parents, sisters, two children and a girl friend. I wish I could look into his three-year-old son's mind. I don't know what he was thinking, I'm not even sure he's aware of the fact that his father is physically gone. What I'm sure of is that EVERYTHING HAS A REASON AND A PURPOSE that we may not understand or comprehend at the moment. He may have departed but he also left behind two bundles of joy. People say that he was too young to raise a family. He was only 17 or 18 then when he had his first child. If his family had known he'd be gone this early, I'm sure they would have wanted him to have more children.

During the course of his burial, when we walked from the church to the cemetery, there were a number of circumstances that say he's now with Jesus. There was a rainbow (and it didn't rain beforehand) and a flock of white birds hovering above us. I believe he's trying to convey the message that he is happy where he is. It's also a good thing that his family has already learned to accept his death, so he may fully be at peace. 

Death is sure inevitable and it will happen no matter how hard we try to stop it. The priest says that when it comes, we must be ready to face our creator and ultimate judge. 

Thank you Wynell for giving me the opportunity to know you. May you rest in eternal peace. 

No comments:

Post a Comment