Monday, July 30, 2012

Good Cry.

I squint as I type because I had a good cry. I cried because while I was reading undeniably one of the best books out in the market-- and passionately written, at that-- so much truth and certainties in life came to mind. While I had been putting off reading books that do not fall under the Romance genre, I also had been seriously considering bending my own rules. And that I did when I bought The Kite Runner. Jane, a good friend, had told me to buy it because while I might not really like it because it involved only little romance, a whole new perspective will beckon me.
From here on out, let this be clear: This is not a review, but a reflection of the sort an author wants his reader to have after putting down his book. His piece. His heart. It well may be, at some point, though.
The Kite Runner starts with a familiar setting, one of which I have only read and seen in bold big letters in papers and television. A lot of many firsts have introduced themselves while I was propped up in my bed/chair. I found myself immensely engrossed in Hosseins' every word. The difference in my culture and that of Amir and Hassan was unarguably huge, and I say that with respect and fascination. The book has led me to understand the richness of the Afghan culture and tradition. Time and again, I begin to question the harsh realities set up in the book (and life, in general). How can life be so unfair and cruel, I thought. How can social and political differences in class exist, in the first place? How can it still be their way of living? The difference has brought about hatred and hostility, and at times, war. Why?! You could say this has been going on for as long as the oldest generations of Afghans have breathed life. And it's a sad reality, really. I could not help but cry upon reading them on the book. :(
Love and friendship are also the focal points of the book. And these, my friends, are the reasons why I was crying almost always the whole time I held the book. Like family, friends present themselves as one, especially when we have grown up with them, and their personalities we have accustomed with. Hassan left  a soft spot in my heart. It is because of him that I have, again, found myself strongly pressed with my own beliefs. When we're friends with someone, we do not go about a deaf ear nor a blind eye when turmoil comes. When we  care, we truly should. We walk our talk of loyalty. And we must prove it, even more so during the bad times. My heart bled when Amir turned his back on his servant's son several times. Because of social class, him being a Pashtun, he tried to question their friendship. Or were they even friends, to begin with? But can I blame a child whose entire life has been about pleasing his father, getting his favors, and proving that he is worthy of his love? It's maddening! 
Turning on a new leaf is not easy especially when we have lived with guilt and remorse our whole life. It may not be easy, but it is also not hard. When we've made a mistake, we try our best to correct it, and by God, we really should. Making another wrong does not come up with a right. It's senseless and no matter what, it is never justifiable. After knowing the truth, Amir faced the ghosts of his past and made the right choice when he took charge of caring for Hassan's Sohrab, his nephew. They're family, after all-- with the same blood running through their veins. Mistakes after another, and finally a chance surfaces to correct them. He doesn't throw it away. He makes good use of it. :)
Ah, I could rant on and on, and I won't ever get tired of the many lessons the book has taught me. But, it'll bore you and soon enough, you'll find yourself clicking that red X button. But before you do just that, please take time to read the book. This is the kind of read you would pass onto your children, and them to theirs, and so on. :) Hossein has done a fairly good job when even after reading his piece, I still found myself attached to the characters. This is, after all, a testament of friendship, second chances, love, and forgiveness. :)
*For you, a thousand times over.

No comments:

Post a Comment