Saturday, July 21, 2012

We Did It!

I'm back from a one-day trip to the mountains with my friends. :)
We were really excited to see the famous OsmeƱa Peak because we have always heard about it. We live within the province and we thought it's about time to go see it. So, off we went after my AM shift at work. Travel time took approximately 2.5 hours because traffic was less, and the bus driver was a road-rage. We went there with a slight idea as to where to spend the night but we never booked it because there was no number to reach. My friend, Yani, thought we were doomed. Choi and I thought otherwise. A friendly local, whom we called tatay, helped us around by showing us the Barangay Hall, or Town Hall, where we could pass the night. We were really blessed because everyone helped us. It was a very comfortable sleep with two of my greatest friends while the rain outside was pouring hard. :)
We set out early the next day, at 5 A.M. We were supposed to trek thirty minutes earlier but we couldn't because it was still raining. So that meant additional minutes of sleep. ;) We were accompanied by Tatay Tonton, who was very kind enough to trek with us until we reached the peak. The road we traversed in was mostly graveled and wet. Only a few kilometers from the main road was concrete. I tell you, the locals we met, children and elderly alike, were very friendly and courteous. We were greeted by a warm maayong buntag, or good morning. The sun during this time was still hiding. The clouds were surrounded by thick fogs. The mountains seen from afar were also covered with one. The wind was even very cold.
*Right on, friends!
*Paarssleeey!
*The sun is starting to come out. Sort of. :)
We were very amazed by the views we see. These are things we don't get from the city. The warm welcome of the locals, the cold weather, the very beautiful views of the sea and mountains, and the likes. I've seen made a living for their families. They tended their crops and even built their houses made of wood themselves. And I thought to myself, "Hey if someone like them would offer me marriage, I'd say yes because I know I will never go a day hungry." And the rural living was peaceful. Ahh, this is life! :)
We walked for almost two hours until we finally reached the peak. Here, the fog was even thicker and the wind was harsher and colder. We were actually shivering! We had our breakfast thereafter. We could not see what's behind the fog. We were disheartened because we came a long way to witness its beauty. But to be sad is to insult the magnificence our eyes have laid on. So we took photos of whatever we could see. :)
*This and below: Trail leading to the peak
*We've reached the top! :)
We trekked down after the wind at the peak became unbearable. We all had our fair share of bloopers. We slid down one too many. Hahaha!!! :D It was so much fun! When we reached the foot of the mountain, the sun was shining brightly and the clouds were starting to steer clear of the fog. We decided to trek the peak again, the second time around. I was hesitant but I was with two of the most persistent people I know, so I was at the losing end. We were really close to the peak when we saw the dark clouds looming above us. Lo and behold, it rained and we got wet! You could just imagine us going down a rocky, slimy, and difficult train. We could not believe our fate!! But we ended up laughing at our ourselves because this was one for the books! We were looking for adventure and we had our fill! Oh gosh! Hahaha :) 

I'm very thankful I had this funny and wonderful journey with my loves. Of course, we all missed Anne, who was sad she couldn't go with us. We may have not seen the many pointed hills, but I know there will be many opportunities to come to see them again. We got wet, wild, and happy! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment